Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 00:04:55 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Perl5 installation

I am building my first (of many I hope) FreeBSD server.  I installed the
Perl5 package (Perl v5.003) after installing the FreeBSD v2.2.2
distribution.  I assumed that the Perl5 package installation would
replace the Perl4 binary in /usr/bin.  It did not, and this leads me to
the following questions;

Should a symlink be put in place of the Perl4 binary in /usr/bin?  Are
there perl4 resources that are installed with the base distribution that
should be removed?

That fact that the Perl5 package did not overwrite the perl4 binary
implies that perl4 should not be tampered with.  I am familiar enough
with Perl to know that Perl5 is backwardly compatible, but this is not
perfect.  Are there perl4 dependent scripts present on the system that
would cause me to want to preserve perl4?

Thanks for helping a neophyte FreeBSD hack.