Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:02:59 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Erik Osterholm <freebsd-lists-erik@erikosterholm.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "Max N. Boyarov" <m.boyarov@bsd.by>
Subject:   Re: tail does not exit

On =DE=C5=D4=D7=C5=D2 20 =C7=D2=D5=C4=C5=CE=D8 2007, Erik Osterholm wrote:
=3D The same behavior happens if I use a larger file. =9AI see no
=3D inconsistent behavior, nor any bugs.

The inconsistency is in the fact, that the behavior depends on the size of =
the=20
buffer and length of the lines (not the size of the file).

If the 10 lines, which tail tries to output initially, exceed the size of t=
he=20
buffer, tail learns about awk going away immediately. If the lines are not=
=20
long enough, it does not.

Also, I would expect a program to be notified (by SIGPIPE?) /immediately/,=
=20
when any of its output pipes are closed -- instead of waiting for it to try=
=20
to write into the pipe. But this issue is not, it seems, FreeBSD-specific...

	-mi