Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 1997 13:42:29 -0600
From:      Allen Hyer <allenh@wtrt.net>
To:        "Raistlin, Master of Past and Present" <raistln@ksu.edu>, dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: (there wasn't any, but its an HP net printer problem)

At 11:31 AM 2/8/97 -0600, Raistlin, Master of Past and Present wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Feb 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > 	I am currently running 2.1.6 and am trying to connect to a HP
>> > Laserjet 3si over a network. The printer will allow me to telnet in and
>> > will print out the text I send to it, but lpq gives a "Queue does not
>> > exist", even though it still allows me to queue up the items. This is
what
>> > I have entered in /etc/printcap:
>> >
>> > 	lp|oak|Hewlett Packard Laserjet 3Si:\
>> > 	        :lp=/dev/null:rm=myhostname:rp=oak:sd=/var/spool/lpd/oak:
>>
>> Try changing "rp=oak" above to "rp=lp". HP's embedded lpd emulates a host
>> with a printer named lp attached. You can still call it oak locally.
>>
>> --
>> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net
>> The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
>> capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.
>>

>Now I'm getting this error here:
>
>	waiting for queue to be enabled on oak.ksu.ksu.edu
>
>Is my setup incorrect, or is it the printer that's the problem? lpc
>show's the following:
>
>	lp:
>	        queuing is enabled
>        	printing is enabled
>        	no entries
>        	printer idle
>
>I'm not sure why it won't work...

I had a similar problem with an HP4SiMx once.  I had to upgrade the
firmware on the JetDirect card to get it to work.  It acted similar to what
you describe, I could telnet into the printer, and get it to print from
there, but I couldn't get a remote machine to get it to print.  I don't
know for sure that you need to upgrade the firmware, just thought I would
throw that out there just in case.

Allen Hyer
System Administrator
West Texas Rural Telephone