Date:      18 Jul 2000 01:39:43 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre%no-spam@citeweb.net>
To:        nsayer@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl interface for apm?

Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com> writes:

> Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>
> > Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com> writes:

> > > The problem with that is that it requires permission to open /dev/apm, after which
> > > one also has permission to suspend the machine or do other mischief.
> > > A separate interface allows us to specify a means to look up read-only
> > > information without special permissions. Also, sysctl is not only a command
> > > line interface, it is available to programs as well, and is a simpler interface
> > > then open/ioctl/close.
> >
> > what about :
> >
> > echo apm::70: >> /etc/group
> > chgrp apm /dev/apm /usr/sbin/apm
> > chmod g=640 /dev/apm
> > chmod g+s /usr/sbin/apm
>
> Users or programs in group apm would still have permission to suspend the
> machine. Suspending the machine is an operation demanding a far higher level
> of machine access than simply checking the state of the batteries, in my
> opinion. Once you have an open file descriptor on /dev/apm, you can perform
> any ioctl you like on it. This way, privileges on /dev/apm can be closely held,
> and mere power meters don't have to be sgid.

well. as you said before, you just want a read-only sysctl. if the driver is not
secure. it's not my fault. it shouldn't be so complicated to secure it.
do you now if the permissions sets using make_dev() in i386/apm/apm.h are
used at a upper level ? or if the driver must do the job itself.

CC: to the original mailing-list.

Cyrille.
--
home:mailto:clefevre%no-spam@citeweb.net Supprimer "%no-spam" pour me repondre.