Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:19:38 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "Robert Watson" <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

Hi,

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that there is already quite a bit of
IPv6 and IPSec stuff in the tree. Most of the kernel stuff is there (albeit
seriously lacking documentation). To me this is not *too* critical right
now. I see the point for the research community though.

Also, regarding what makes a *.0 release, I would say stability is the main
thing. More complete features will come with the .1 .2 etc. releases.

Look at the 3.x history: we just got some major features in the late 3.x
(netgraph in 3.4) this does not mean that 3.0 was a bad release.

If I can be sure that the IPSec and IPv6 userland stuff and documentation
will be in 4.1 for sure, I would advocate for the feature freeze now.

There are quite a few things that are good in 4.0 and that I really want to
use in my production boxes (the new ata driver for example). To me getting
what is already there in a *blessed* form is what is important.

Rather than a full, complete IPv6 feature in 4.0, I would rather see that
the 4.x-STABLE branch keeps track of the Kame mods in it by default and soon
so that when 4.1-RELEASE is around IPv6 is in.

Does that make sense ?

Patrick.