Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:28:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, abbott at MPCA <jabbott@wolf.co.net>, Kevin Eliuk <cagey@sunshine.net>
Subject:   Re: oops.

Hi

To find out the mount point you should look at /etc/fstab. In single user mode
you'll have to use ed, on the fixit floppy there's also vi..

c u JO

On 23-Apr-97 Kevin Eliuk wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, abbott at MPCA wrote:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Quite a long loop :-]
>
>>Thank you to everyone who helped me with my copy and paste from xterm
>>question.  Unfortunatly shortly after I asked it became moot.
>
>>Last week I had something kind of bad happen.  I ran out of space on my /
>>(root partition)  -- I did not make it big enough the first time I
>>installed and I have not had time to shuffle things around and
>>repartition
>>it.  So what I decided to do, unwisely I might add, :-( is move some of
>>the
>>stuff out of / and onto my other drive (mounted on /pca) and then
>>symbolic
>>link to it.  I did not really think this through quite as well as I
>>should
>>have and I now understand the error of my ways.
>
>>This was not an issue until today when I rebooted. :-)
>> My question is what now?
>>
>> When I try to reboot I get
>> no init
>> panic
>>
>> and then a reboot
>>
>> I was thinking of doing a system upgrade.  I am running a gamma release
>> right now.  I have booted it from a floppy and I can see all the partitions
>> in there.  Nothing is mounted and I can not remember which partition mounts
>> to which mount point.
>>
>> What are peoples opinions of what I should do?
>If you can boot from floppy (I'm assuming install floppy) and see your
>partitions you should be able to mount them. If you have record of the
>files you moved you can initiate the fixit floppy and <copy> them back.
>
>I did something as serious before and recovered quite nicely this way.
>

>I'm sure this will help.
>                                _______________________________________
>                               |\                                     /|
>                               |  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
>                               |    \       Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |
>                               |/--===### Powered By FreeBSD 2.2.1    \|
>                               |             www.freebsd.org           |

FreeBSD                                        <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Top breeders recommend it

Joachim Kuebart                                      <joa@delos.lf.net>
<joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>          <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Germany                                             Tel: +49 711 653706