Date:      Thu, 8 Sep 2011 01:36:02 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        schaecsn@gmx.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The cost of a source based package system

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Stefan Schaeckeler <schaecsn@gmx.net> wrot=
e:
> Hi all, please don't take this posting too serious. I was just curious ..=
.

Thanks for the disclaimer.

> . Among other things, I measured the "cost of a source based package syst=
em", i.e. I was comparing the energy cost of installing ports from source v=
s binary packages (setup, see below).

Make sure to measure multiple times, with a cold cache, and calculate
=CE=B1 and p values ;)
> The number of ports and binary packages varies slightly. I don't know why=
. This only introduces a small error.

Likely due to "build dependencies" which are not needed when
installing via packages.

--=20
Eitan Adler