Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 01:02:39 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        myoder@flinthills.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINUX BINARIES NOT WORKING

On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 08:14:17AM -0500, Michael J. Yoder wrote:
> I think FreeBSD is a slight improvement over Linux.  One of the
> weaknesses of FreeBSD, compared to Linux, is the lack of compiled
> software.

Huh? How many thousands of FreeBSD packages do you want? :-)
Check out your CDs, and the text files in their root directories. The
packages are spread around a bit. The majority of those mentioned in the
ports INDEX are there as packages too.

> There are many Linux binaries I want to run but I have not
> been able to execute them under FreeBSD.

I haven't found anything fantastic on my Linux 6CD set that wasn't already
available as a FreeBSD port or package (though I did find a lot of Linux
software that wouldn't work on my Linux system because it was for some other
flavour of Linux). If you tell us what FreeBSD is missing out on, someone
might port it :-)

> I installed FreeBSD 2.26 using Walnut Creek's 4-disk CDRom set.  The
> linux_lib-2.4 library is installed and the Linux modulator is loaded at
> boot (verified by issuing "modstat" command after boot).  When I try
> running Linux ELF binaries I get a "Command not found" message at the
> prompt.  Any suggestions?  I am not sure if Linux a.out binaries work, I
> have not tried them yet.

OK, I'll let someone who understands these things answer that one.
Linux emulation works so well here that I've never tried to understand it.

> Prior to executing "linux" at boot I started it manually after booting.
> The FreeBSD book I purchased states that the command line prompt changes
> after executing "linux", but my prompt did not change.  Does this
> suggest something?

Ahh, take a closer look. The prompt doesn't actually change. Straight after
typing 'linux' you get a nice new prompt, just like the old one but without
'Penguin engaged, please continue' or any other heartwarming stuff on it :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

sue@welearn.com.au