Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:42:26 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Majordomo & subscribing to lists

Hi,

Can someone explain this pls?

I sent ``subscribe mozilla@freebsd.org'' to majordomo and got the
following:

>>>> subscribe mozilla@freebsd.org
You tried to "subscribe" to a closed list "mozilla" at
Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG.

We have some closed lists:

   Some lists that are aliases for other lists.
   The list "test" is an alias for "freebsd-test".
   If you tried to subscribe a list of this type,
   please subscribe to "freebsd-mozilla" instead.

which I take it means my request was rejected because it is a closed
list. (BTW, I thought _all_ lists had an alias without the
``freebsd-'').

As instructed in the last line I sent

``subscribe freebsd-mozilla@freebsd.org''

and got back the confirmation message:

If you really want this action to be taken, please send the following
commands (exactly as shown) back to "Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG":

        auth c87b0809 subscribe freebsd-mozilla marko@uk.radan.com

sent it as instructed. Then I received:

**** Address already subscribed to freebsd-mozilla

So what does all this mean? Was my first request rejected or not (I
only received and sent one confirmation).

How can I be subscribed already if I only sent the one confirmation?

Is ``mozilla'' and ``freebsd-mozilla'' the same list and are they
closed?

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com