Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:01:36 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -stable build on -current

On Fri Nov 15, 2002 at 10:10:13PM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 09:03:58PM -0500, The Anarcat wrote:
> > Hello!
> >=20
> > Can 5.x properly cross-buildworld a 4.x source tree?
> >=20
> > Background info.. I have 3 machines at home:
> >=20
> > 1- graphic workstation 1Ghz, 1Gbyte of RAM dual Win2k/FreeBSD-stable
> > 2- personal web/mail server P166 FreeBSD-stable
> > 3- router 486 FreeBSD-stable
> >=20
> > My concern is that I won't be able to buildworld in 50 minutes as I
> > can do now on the 1Ghz.
> >=20
> > Basically, I would turn my experiments machine (the workstation) in a
> > real development machine, running -current and still a -stable world
> > for the 2 other boxes.
> >=20
> > Anyone cares to share such experiences?
> >=20
> > Please CC me, I'm not on the list (yet).
> >=20
> It was possible some time ago -- I've spent a few hours today making
> this possible again.  You need to perform the following steps to do
> this:
>=20
> 1.  Install ports/lang/perl5 (I haven't tested with perl5.8).
> 2.  Make a symlink from /usr/local/bin/pod2man to /usr/bin.
> 3.  Make sure all the attached commits are in your /usr/src.
>=20
> With these fixes, I have successfully built RELENG_4 world on today's
> morning 5.0-CURRENT:
>=20
> : =3D=3D=3D> etc/sendmail
> : rm -f freebsd.cf
> : (cd /STABLE/usr/src/etc/sendmail &&  m4 -D_CF_DIR_=3D/STABLE/usr/src/et=
c/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/   /STABLE/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../=
contrib/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc) > freebsd.cf
> : chmod 444 freebsd.cf
>=20
> But I didn't test the buildkernel yet -- you're welcome to, or I will,
> on Monday.

This is great news!

So in other words, a -stable build on a -current machine is not
necessarly some dare-devil crazy thing to do, and should be perfecly
workable, right?

If that is so, I'm switching. I've been waiting way too long on
-stable.. If I can help debugging the crossbuild in the way, it'll
make things only better, I guess. :)

Thanks,

A.