Date:      15 Apr 2003 01:39:25 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        BSD baby <bsdlap@hitmedia.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.3 - did AntiAliasing change?

--=-TpA3owTYgUKeClByfE1i

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 01:23, BSD baby wrote:
> Joe - thank you so much for your answer!
>=20
> When you say "should all happen automatically" - do you mean that if I
> just install FreeBSD 4.8 with XFree + KDE 3.1 directly from the=20
> FreeBSD 4.8 CD-Rom, as-is, then start up KDE, and click the "use anti-
> aliased fonts" box, that it should work?

It should, but fontconfig is still pretty infantile.  Since 4.8-RELEASE
hit the shelves, two updates have been made to fontconfig, one to Xft,
and one to freetype2.  You should update all three of those ports, then
KDE should Just Work.  Note, I'm a GNOME user, and I'm not sure if
there's something KDE-specific that still needs doing.

>=20
> Or do I still need to go hack some files or install some ports to make
> anti aliased fonts work?

As long as fc-cache -f has been run after all your fonts are installed,
you should be okay.

Joe

>=20
> I'm installing on a clean hard drive, so I can do it from scratch again
> if you could just point me down the right path.
>=20
> Thanks so much.  This means a lot because I'm doing this for all 15
> desktop PCs in our office.
>=20
> - Derek
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > > Has anyone got anti-aliased fonts to work in FreeBSD 4.8?
> > >=20
> > > In XFree 4.2, I would add my AntiAliased font directories to this fil=
e:
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig
> > > ... and everything was fine.
> > >=20
> > > Now that file doesn't exist, and I can't get fonts to anti-alias, eve=
n if I=20
> > > create that file and put the font directories there like I used to?
> > >=20
> > > Did something change in XFree 4.3 in FreeBSD 4.8?
> >=20
> > Yes.  XFree86 switched from Xft1 to Xft2.  This new version uses
> > fontconfig (for better or worse).
> >=20
> > >=20
> > > Are we supposed to use /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/fonts.conf?
> >=20
> > Yep.  Of course, this should all happen automatically.  What app are yo=
> > using that doesn't show anti-aliased fonts?
--=20

--=-TpA3owTYgUKeClByfE1i

--=-TpA3owTYgUKeClByfE1i--