Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:08:44 +0100
From:      morten.gulbrandsen@t-online.de (Morten Gulbrandsen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: startx  crashes FreeBSD 4.2

"Robert D. Hughes" wrote:

> As far as XFree85-4, I have no idea. I've never seen that port anywhere.
> XFree on FreeBSD is available in two flavors: 3.3.6 (default, installed
> from distribution) and 4.x.x from the ports. If the KDE version in the
> ports tree isn't recent enough for you, just download the source, read
> the docs, ./configure && make && make install && enjoy.

This is interesting,
You know I have a problem with startx ?

after re-boot
bash-2.04$ startx&
[1] 526
bash-2.04$
Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"
When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

uname -a
FreeBSD earth.. 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #7: Wed Dec 19 18:49:23
GMT 2001     morten@earth..:/usr/src/sys/compile/earth  i386

Do I need to solve this before I "just download the source, read
> the docs, ./configure && make && make install && enjoy."

Do I need to download it to a spesific /usr/ports/  directory ?

> Now, as for "real unix", you have System IV/V and BSD style systems.
> They are not the same. Both are equally "real unix". Learning one does
> not make you proficient in the other. Open- and FreeBSD are both BSD
> (Berkley) based systems. Linux, UX, and Solaris are examples of SYSV
> style systems. Which do you want to learn?

BSD  please.
Yours Sincerely

Morten Gulbrandsen