Date:      Sat, 3 May 1997 10:23:04 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>, tom@sdf.com, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Jeffrey J. Mountin writes:
>
> [ ... lot of nice info on how his machines are anti-spammed ... ]
>
> Any chance we could get you to build an "anti-spam-in-a-can" package
> that can bee installed to "spam-proof" FreeBSD boxes?
>
> Imagine "Anti-SPAM" on the pagackages menu.  Right on top.

Might be a bit late but..

Yes there is.

I'm sure people on this list know all about the modifications to do to
sendmail.cf file to allow lists of who can use you as a mail relay, who
can actually use you to send email (IP ranges - very nice), force DNS
resolution of from addresses (you *COULD* spoof, but then most spammers
probably don't know what DNS spoofing is), and a list of domains and
user@domains to not accept mail from.

Its currently the craze in Perth, and probably the rest of Australia after
we were hit by some spam from someone using a psi.net account.

My suggestion is a package with a modified sendmail.cf file with these
changes (or even ship this file *with* the default installation, and
create "default" files which allow everyone to use you as a mail relay,
etc), and the package overwrites the domain and u@domain spam files.

That would be way cool IMHO, and if people like the idea I might just
make something up.

Adrian.