Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:05:18 +0200
From:      Buki <dev@null.cz>
To:        Martins Struka <martinss2000@inbox.lv>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: E-Mail_config

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:32:10AM +0300, Martins Struka wrote:
> Dear Sir / Madam,
> We bought a IBM Netfinity 3000 server and plan to run on it e-mail and web server, and we are considering to put FreeBSD on it (we allready use FreeBSD on our ASP server for bookkeeping software). We plan to use Linux KDE mail klient KMail and as SMTP server we use our ISP server mail.XXXXXXX.lv. My qestion to you are as follows:
> 1.    Which components / deamons do I have to configure to run e-mail server (as I understand: sendmail, DNS)?

for a SMTP server you need to run any MTA (sendmail for example), you don't need
to have your own DNS server running as you can use your provider's one

> 2.    Which components / deamons do I have to configure to run web server (as I understand: apache)?

yes, basically you're right (of course there are other possibilities other than
apache, but apache is probably the most used on unix-type OSes)

> 3.    Is it enough to configure just sendmail and DNS?

depends on what you intend to use it for ..

> Best wishes from Latvia.
> "Bakkers Business Solutions"
> Best regards
> Martins Struka, director