Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:24:49 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   ulink roles

  I've got some local patches here that change many links in the
Handbook.  The perceived problem I've tried to solve is that we don't
necessarily want to display all the ulinks in a printed format (in
footnotes or parenthesis) that we want to use in an online format.  I
really don't believe that there is any good way to do this
automatically, and I think the best solution is to add a role to
<ulink> for trivial online-only sorts of links.  A good example is
this :

  <para>You will need to get <ulink
  url="ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/&rel.current;-RELEASE/floppies/kern.flp">kern.flp</ulink>;
  and
            <ulink
  url="ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/&rel.current;-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp">;
            mfsroot.flp</ulink> from the
            <ulink
  url="ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/&rel.current;-RELEASE/floppies/">;
            floppies directory</ulink>.</para>

  This turns out great for the HTML version of the Handbook, but these
three links are highly redundant for a printed book.  Ideally, only
the last ulink will show up (as a footnote) in the PostScript
version.  Does anyone object to me sprinkling in some role="online"
attributes to our links, and adding the relevant stylesheet support?
Is there a better way to do this (quickly)?

   - Murray