Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 15:46:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gabriel <gabriel@discover.laker.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2-971115-SNAP locked up! :(

Hi there.

I am trying to figure out what caused FreeBSD 2.2-971115-SNAP to lock up on
me.  I've had similar lockups in FreeBSD 3.0-970209-SNAP.  Any insight is
appreciated.
  The lockup occured when I was in XFree86 (3.3.1, Mach 64 server).  I
couldn't even telnet in from my server (also running FreeBSD
2.2-971115-SNAP) to kill any processes.  I had to reset the system. :(
I was running xlockmore and compiling the pgcc port.  I am using Afterstep
1.0 (from the ports) as my window manager.  I have ample free space, 64 MB
of RAM, 256 MB swap and a 200 MHz MMX Pentium processor.  The processor is
overclocked to 250 MHz and the bus is overclocked to 83 Mhz.  I have not had
any problems w/ overclocking.  None of the other ports I compiled caused any
lockups.  The FreeBSD 3.0-970209-SNAP system was not running on an overclocked
system, so I don't think overclocking caused the lockup. I think the lockup
was caused by xf86, or xlockmore or Afterstep (afterstep is the more likely
culrpit IMO).
  How do I find out which files got corrupted when I have to reset the
system because of a lockup (fsck doesnt give much info).  How does resetting
the system affect mounted dos/win95 partitions?

Thank you.