Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:07:46 -0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Pagaime?= <jpsp@fccn.pt>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Acquiring a DAT/DDS autoloader that works on FreeBSD

Hello all,

I'm in the process of defining a centralized
backup system for a few servers.  Since we already
use DDS technology and the total backup volume
is relatively low (~120GB), I'm considering using
Amanda/FreeBSD/DDS-Autoloader (one or more autoloaders).

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few
questions:

- Are HP DDS autoloaders SCSI-tape-changer compatible?
And what models are known to work with FreeBSD?
At HP's website I find a few products of interest:
--SureStor:
---dat40x6e tape autoloader, C5717B, External autoloader
--Smart Storage
---dds-4 autoloader, C4318sz#111
---dds-4 autoloader, C6370A
---dds-4 autoloader, C6371A

- Are there other DDS autoloaders products, known to
work with FreeBSD?  We have a few Dell PowerEdge 4400 that
shipped with a Sony (TSl-9000) internal autoloader, that we
didn't manage to make it work, with chio or mtx.  We also
found some comments out there, saying that this equipment
always requires manual intervention to change its takes.

Thank you,
Joćo