Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 22:51:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net (mika ruohotie), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make flags

Terry Lambert writes:
 > For a build world, this includes modifying "/etc/make.conf".
 >
 > There's a lot of changes that went into makeing -j work down to
 > inferior makefiles (check out the "parallel make" thread in the
 > -current archives).

This may be, but it's out of date.  I tried hacking bsd.subdir.mk so
that it would add the -j makes at the lowest level subdirs, and it
died due to inadequate dependency specifications.  I figure it will
take several iterations to get it right, and I don't have the time
until sometime next week at the earliest to play with it.  I was
disappointed, because I wanted to see just how fast a make world is on
a dual CPU PPro-200.  As it stands now, there's a lot of idle time on
my machine which is currently running make world.