Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:29:01 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing /boot/modules from BSD.root.dist

In the last episode (Nov 15), Ruslan Ermilov said:
> Yes, the standard search path is /boot/kernel;/boot/modules;/modules.
> Nevertheless, we don't create /modules, why should we create /boot/modules?
> When you say ``documented'', what do you mean?  ``grep -r /boot/modules
> doc/en_US.ISO8859-1'' returns nothing.  Do you mean kldconfig(8) only?

I think /modules is in the path because that's where 3rd-party modules
went in 4.*, and is just there for compatibility.  Putting them in
/boot/modules lets you (theoretically) have a small /boot partition
with just the files required to get the kernel booted and root mounted.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com