Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 08:16:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/alpha status report (2)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> > Along the way, I have successfully probed for simulated devices on a
> > simulated PCI bus and attached simulated SCSI disks :-).  I am *not*
> > currently using NetBSD's bus_space stuff to handle accesses to device i/o
> > ports and memory.  Given that 99% of the machines that the port will work
> > on don't need the complexity of bus_space, I have taken the Linux route
> > and each chipset will supply versions of inb etc which perform the
> > relavent contortions.
>
> I suppose I don't understand the rational here.  The i386 port
> doesn't have to go through any contortions in it's bus space
> implemenation and implementing bus space for FreeBSD x86 (look in
> i386/include/bus.h) was *trivial*.  So why not use bus space? The
> CAM drivers already use it, you say that 99% of Alphas can use a
> "simple" implementation, and it buys us the ability to more easily
> port code from NetBSD?  Just because you seem to believe that NetBSD's
> implementation of the bus space and bus DMA interfaces for Alpha are
> overly complex, doesn't mean that the interfaces themselves are a
> bad idea.

I am not saying that there won't be a <machine/bus.h>.  I am saying that I
don't think that all the chipset implementations need to implement it.  If
I do a bus_space interface, I expect that it will be something like
i386/include/bus.h.  It is possible that TurboChannel and TurboLaser boxes
with multiple PCI busses might provide their own implementation rather
than the generic one.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039