Date:      Sat, 3 May 1997 14:00:26 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting other people's disks?

>	I just had to make some repairs to my OpenBSD/arc disk.  I had
>hoped to be able to do this on my FreeSBD box.  However, FreeBSD
>refused to allow me to mount this disk.  It compained long and
>bitterly about how the disklabel was bogus because it referred to
>things outside of the slice it was on.
>
>	Is there some way to tell FreeBSD "Look, I know that you don't
>like this disk, but just cope and pretend it is a legacy disk w/o
>slices, please?"  A quick look at the code didn't show anything
>obvious that I could do.

Just ignore the warnings and don't use the things outside the slice
(they should be harmlessly unusable anyway since they are empty).
Be careful not to write to the label or the parts outside the slice will
be forgotten.

If you actually want to mount things that are outside the slice, then
you have to use fdisk to change the slice so that they are inside, or
just refer to them using the correct slice number.

Bruce