Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2019 08:06:37 +0000
From:      Lorenzo Salvadore <phascolarctos@protonmail.ch>
To:        Mahesh Tudu <mahesh86701997@gmail.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Regarding mentorship for GSOC 2019
References:  <CAArid3PjWo20Cn97njcrtm4uGV=27EYPq51KTEdszv=dXim0Mw@mail.gmail.com> <1C4595D2-B150-460F-9161-89A1A8865830@freebsdfoundation.org> <CAArid3PcXYW%2BoxfHdJMTRNseReop4gyza5gasrXnWWL7zi5Nug@mail.gmail.com> <CAArid3N8pQMP1ZNpghzivyzNd%2BYCZf3tANvVyKRJ5NX5rJS29Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAArid3OmvLpJCdrcPQddcC7WEaw4t4jbevmpw7dth0fB_a9x6A@mail.gmail.com> <CAN9adSPqYGqnTJTue1TfxjSh%2BJoKOPDmhzYopwLb1-Ua=nvQpw@mail.gmail.com> <CAArid3Or-8vWo%2BzxBQN1UnpfLf0e%2BQd4swXsEPz5her94Lo9xw@mail.gmail.com> <CAArid3NbbR72kJgDXvVNB=AT-PUYwvOVH0GjsbLaRA3VZ2L0yQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAArid3OWx-CFTA6wagbj8O-%2BXrbyGeiPhZgYrBN=E_B_nsZnUg@mail.gmail.com>

=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90 Original Me=
ssage =E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90=E2=80=90
On Monday 8 April 2019 07:48, Mahesh Tudu <mahesh86701997@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> It's me again. Now I am left with only a single day and so I am getting a
> very uneasy feeling. Please help me with my issue, I really need a mentor
> to help me review my proposal. It would be very kind of you if you please
> respond with a positive answer as soon as possible.
>
> Thank You
>
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 11:16 AM Mahesh Tudu mahesh86701997@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > It's me again. Now I am left with only a single day and so I am getting=
> > very uneasy feeling. Please help me with my issue, I really need a ment=
or
> > to help me review my proposal. It would be very kind of you if you plea=
se
> > respond with a positive answer as soon as possible.
> > Thanking You
> > On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 5:06 PM Mahesh Tudu mahesh86701997@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > Thank you for your response. Please help me solve my matter a bit fas=
ter
> > > as the days are passing by very fast and now there are just two days =
left.
> > > I am in a great need of a mentor to review my proposal before final
> > > submission.
> > > Thank You again.
> > > On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 4:58 PM Mahdi Mokhtari mmokhi@freebsd.org wrot=
e:

m_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& Sender
m_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& 04/07/19,

utm_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& Sender
utm_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& 04/07/19,

e&utm_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& Sender
e&utm_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& 04/04/19,

ure&utm_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& Sender
ure&utm_campaign=3Dsignaturevirality5& 04/04/19,

"

Hello,

I would be glad to help you, unfortunately I do not have the knowledge (yet=
) to do so,
thus I will only try to point you in the right direction.

I think you already found the FreeBSD wiki pages about the Summer of Code, =
but if you
did not, here they are:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode
And in particular you are probably interested now in
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeStudentChecklist

I read you are suggested to write to the hackers mailing list as you are do=
ing. However,
this mailing is list not much used, not as much as others and as irc at lea=
st; of course I hope
potential mentors are subscribed, but you are more likely to receive quick =
response if you also
join irc. I remember a few days ago someone talking about the Summer of Cod=
e, maybe
it was you (if it was you, I found cool your idea and I would probably bene=
fit from its realization:
definitely hope you found your mentor!): try again and make it clear that y=
ou are in search
for a mentor.
We are always busy doing plenty of things, we might read quickly, see the c=
ool
idea, but forget to notice about the mentorship need. Or, even worse, many =
of us use an irc
bouncer: thus we go to sleep or at work receiving everything, but when we c=
ome back at
irc we just look at things where we were mentioned. Since you do not know t=
he name of
your future mentor, you cannot mention him and he would not see your reques=
t.
Thus, do not just say "I am searching for a mentor", say "do you know who c=
ould like to become my
mentor"? And someone will answer "maybe x". And x wil be mentioned and see =
it when
he comes back on irc.

It could also help you to get a copy of the source (see
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html ), enter into the direc=
tory that you would
most probably work with (for example, if you will work on virtual memory, s=
ys/vm) then look
to the last people that worked in there with a "svn log -l5": they know the=
 part of the source you
want to work on, then they have the technical knowledge needed for being yo=
ur mentor. Then you
can try to contact them on irc or by e-mail.
For this last part you could find useful the following:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/IRC/Nicknames
https://people.freebsd.org/homepage.html
https://www.freebsd.org/administration.html

I wish you to find your mentor.