Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:01:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Fabrizio=20Ravazzini?= <freefabri@yahoo.it>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail Server - Round Robin Load Distribution

Hello all,I'm doing a Mail server using two machines
which shares the same disk array via NFS
where there are the users maildirs
(Q-mail,vchkpw,courier-Imap,sqwebmail).
I want to make this cluster using DNS-RoundRobin.
Reading the book DNS&BIND (O'Reilly) page 274, if I
insert two A-Records with two CNAME I can make
the round Robin, but this for ftp,http or whatever
server,but I think NOT Mail Servers.
Reading at the beginning of the book,instead, in the
MX record section I understood that multiples
CNAME for Mail servers are invalid, so I can only put
two MX-record for two machines serving the same
domain, but in this way only the first of the two MX
serves the requests and when it goes
down the other takes care of the service.
So,the question is, can I still have load distribution
with a mail server?
Suppose that the service domain is mail.com, so you
can send mail for example to john@mail.com
and the two machine of the cluster are:
one.mail.com ( Ip: A.B.C.D )
two.mail.com ( Ip: X.Y.Z.K )

Can I insert in DNS this following records?:
        one.mail.com  60  IN   A  A.B.C.D
	two.mail.com  60  IN   A  X.Y.Z.K

	mail.com     60  IN   CNAME one.mail.com
	mail.com     60  IN   CNAME two.mail.com

or have I to insert these?:
        one.mail.com  60  IN   A  A.B.C.D
	two.mail.com  60  IN   A  X.Y.Z.K

	mail.com   IN MX one.mail.com
	mail.com   IN MX two.mail.com

In the second case I don't have any Load Distribution,
all the traffic goes to the "one.mail.com"
till it goes down and that's not what I want.
Can someone help mein this dilemma?
or tell me how to do this type of load distribution?
Many thanks