Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/34847: oversight in LINT documentation line

The following reply was made to PR misc/34847; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To: Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 22:33:59 +0000

 Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com> wrote:
 > dd@FreeBSD.org wrote:
 > >
 > > Synopsis: oversight in LINT documentation line
 > >
 > > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
 > > State-Changed-By: dd
 > > State-Changed-When: Fri Mar 8 20:16:52 PST 2002
 > > State-Changed-Why:
 > > The 4.5 version seems to be correct.  Could you be more explicit in
 > > what you think the problem is?
 > >
 > > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=34847
 >
 > It is incorrect in that connection speed seems to be set by that
 > option to 115200 baud, yet the comment line following that very
 > action states that the default speed is 9600 baud. That discrepancy
 > was not present in 4.2.

 This is not a discrepancy.  NOTES/LINT is not supposed to set values
 to their defaults.  Here's the commit that caused the change between
 4.2 and 4.5:

 ----------------------------
 revision 1.929
 date: 2001/06/21 19:50:11;  author: dd;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2
 Don't set CONSPEED to the default and deobfuscate the comment.

 PR:             28296
 Submitted by:   bde, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>

 > It's a matter of interpretation. The (PC) hardware defaults indeed
 > to 9600 bps and Xoff/Xon I believe. But that's the hardware. This
 > is the kernel. It overrides the hardware default and changes it to
 > a new default. Which the sysop can change yet again by stty(1). So
 > what default?

 The default of 9600 comes from sys/dev/sio/sioreg.h; I think it can
 later be changed using sysctl, but since CONSPEED is used long before
 sysctl can be called (e.g., during boot), this is only mildly useful.
 Perhaps you're confusing CONSPEED with something else?