Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 22:33:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Andrew Reilly <A.Reilly@lake.com.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limit of bus hierarchies (was Re: PCI modems do not work???)

> > USB doesn't present a 16550A interface to the host, so I don't think
> > that sio would have a USB attachment.
>
> So there's going to be manufacturer-specific terminal/serial port drivers
> to talk to the serial ports on USB-attached laptop docking stations, like
> the Annex ethernet terminal server things?

Presuming we are able to get any documentation out of any of these
vendors; so far USB serial ports have been one of the worst things to
enquire about.

> I guess in the Windows world
> they must provide 16550-virtualisation software, or else everyone's copy of
> Telix or TeraTerm won't work.  Or the parallel ports vs parallel-port
> scanners.  Or maybe these docking stations just won't work at all...

Anything running under Windows uses the Windows COM driver or a
replacement.  If it's running in a DOS box, then it uses the 16550
virtualisation services that Windows offers, which layers over the COM
driver or workalike.

Basically, the same way that OS/2 does it.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org