Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2020 11:01:24 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD live USB stick

On 2020-04-25 08:03, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to have FreeBSD on a 32 GB USB 3.0 stick. Since I'm an openbox
> user NomadBSD [1] looks promising to me. Any opinions or hints?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> [1] https://nomadbsd.org/handbook/handbook.html#intro

I have installed FreeBSD onto SanDisk Ultra Fit 16 GB USB 3.0 flash
drives.  I like these for their compact form factor, which reduces the
chance of mechanical damage to the drive and/or port/ motherboard.
However, they run hot, they are not a good choice for high-endurance
applications (I cooked a 128 GB model using it for Time Machine backups
in a MacBook Pro), and write performance is an obvious limitation when
running a graphical desktop.  I have experienced problems with both
FreeBSD and Linux when using these drives in USB 3.0 ports, but not with
USB 2.0 ports.

David