Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 00:59:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Bill Hamilton <bhamil@cmpu.net>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: scsi question

> the 2G back in. My main concern is the lack of termination on the
> drives. The drives are both Quantum with an SCA interface. Does anyone
> have any experience with this type drive? The current 2G (Viking) works
> fine. The controller is Adaptec 2940 U/AHA-2940UW . The boot used to
> warn abount auto-termination until I diddled with something in the scsi

	You'll have to buy a active terminator for these drives. They do
not 'really' have on board or auto termination.

> Is this just sort of a no-brainer that I don't need to worry about?
> Is the 2940 that damn smart?

	You do need to worry about it... SCSI without termination is not
the greatest idea. You're also loosing speed. (Both from the lack of
speed, and the adapter on the drives.) The Adpatec 2940 card is in my
opinion, an OK card. If you can find something with the NCR-875 chipset
(like an Asus SC-875,) you'll be better off in the long run. (I've got a
Viking after being stupid and not checking, the ad said Atlas. :(

					Rick