Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:53:28 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world fail (at) (fwd)

Rasmus Skaarup wrote:

> > > I did a fresh cvsup in a empty /usr/src directory, and got the exact same
> > > error:
> >
> > I did not follow this thread, but I assume you also had an empty
> > /usr/obj?
>
> No. I removed the obj directory, and tried again and now it's working. I
> figured that the exsting obj-files would be replaced, but apparently not.

The problem comes when makefiles change (or any of the files that gets
included). The "state" you have on disk may not be a valid one given the
new makefiles, even though it was valid for previous versions of that
makefile...

> > > ".depend", line 7: Need an operator
> > > ".depend", line 10: Need an operator
> > > make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> > > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Can you mail what's on these lines?
>
> Somehow a lot of the .depend files (not only at, also banner.. etc) had
> binary content (!?).

They shouldn't have. Something got corrupted. Make sure your filesystem
is clean...

HTH,

--
Marcel Moolenaar