Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 01:54:51 -0000
From:      "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Khamba Staring" <purrcat@edoropolis.org>, <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: SB ViBRA16C 16bit recording problems ( + ugly fix?)

> Evilly setting ch->buffer->chan to 5 (drq5) seems to work nicely and
> playback still works (quickly tested it while typing this mail)..
> Now I can't record 8bit, but I couldn't care less about that :)
>
> Can anyone tell my why this is done?? I'm really puzzled..

this was done because the high dma channel is 16 bit only and the low
channel 8 bit only.

the driver is supposed to swap channels to give whichever direction starts
first the 16bit channel, but it is implemented in a flawed manner and does
not work.  this will not be corrected, as -current features new sb16 code
which should work correctly.  this new driver may be merged before 4.2 if i
get enough positive responses.

	-cg