Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 00:10:58 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need vt100 in minicom, not vt102

Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com> wrote:

> I've been doing some remote serial administration with minicom at
> work and have to use a serial line to admin during installation on a
> Sparc box. I tried "tip" and it didn't seem to have any options for
> setting TERM=vt100.

tip(1) is a communications program.  It connects your terminal to
a serial line.  It does not include any terminal emulation.  Same
for cu(1) and kermit(1).

> (A) Has anyone manipulated the TERM in minicom ?

You appear confused.

When you are interacting with a unix box, you *are* at a terminal.
That may be an actual device connected by a serial line, it may be
an emulation at the console, or it may be an emulation such as xterm
running on top of a pty.

You can add a terminal emulation layer--screen and minicom do so,
for different purposes--but this is rarely useful in itself.

The TERM environment variable tells the system what terminal you
are using.  Changing TERM does not in any way affect the behavior
of your terminal.  TERM is an index into the termcap(5) database,
where applications take the control sequences from they use for
cursor control etc.  For best results you should set TERM to a value
that agrees with the terminal you are using.

You cannot "manipulated the TERM in minicom".  Minicom includes a
terminal emulation, which can be switched between different types
of terminals.  If you are connected to a host in minicom, you should
set TERM there to a value that corresponds to minicom's terminal
emulation setting.

> (B) Can anyone point me to a description of the differences between
> vt102 and vt100 ?

The usual candidates are:
http://vt100.net/
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

The VT102 is a slightly more capable superset of the VT100.  I'm
too lazy too dig out the details, but the additions are small.
Which means that you can use a VT102 (-compatible, emulation) in
place of a VT100.

FWIW, xterm(1) also emulates a superset of the VT100.

> The installation screens on some of the alternate OS's for Sparc
> (*BSD, Linux) have escape characters all over the place and I need
> to try and get some console stability to install from a serial
> cable.

I installed OpenBSD/sparc from kermit(1) running in an xterm(1).
This is as perfect a VT100 as you could ever need for that purporse.
I forgot whether the OpenBSD installer actually ever needs a
cursor-addressable terminal, or whether it gets by with plain tty
output.

> The project I'm working on is my own, I've purchased my own
> Ultra10 (with no keyboard and no monitor) to run different non
> Solaris OS.
>
> So far redhat-6.2 sparc is the only OS that installed with no
> problems :( and that was NOT the results I wanted to end up with.

Both NetBSD and OpenBSD/sparc64 are rather shakey at this time.
Whatever problems you may run into, terminal emulation isn't likely
to be one.

"UltraLinux" (Linux/sparc64) on the other hand is a farce.  They
have a sun4u kernel, but the userland is plain 32-bit sparc.