Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:49:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        software@kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change

According to Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support:
> Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > However, the sample is EXTREMELY BIASED toward individuals who closely
> > track things. If this change gets into the distribution, I expect there
> > to be a significant number of users who get "bitten" by the same situation.
>
> I agree with this.  It was assumed by at least one person that most 2.2.6
> RELEASE installs would be fresh installs -- it is not reasonable to assume
> any such thing about about the _stable_ release.  You don't subscribe to the
> Walnut Creek distribution just to smoke your hard drive every three months.

I would say it's very logical to assume anyone that is running -STABLE is
reading the -stable mailing list. They should be more then aware about
the priblem by now.
Anyone that does a fresh install will not be bitten.
Anyone that upgrades an existing system with the new release should not be
bitten either, if sysinstall simply fixes yout fstab, mount, kernel and
kernel source.
Who's left?

> Again, back it out.

And get the same mess again? :-P
Make sysinstall handle the problem instead.

  /Mikael