Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:56:33 -0700
From:      Travis Cole <tcole@nihilist.org>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Walter Campbell <wcampbel@botbay.net>, Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>, David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Thomas Gellekum <tg@melaten.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: /etc/rc.shutdown calls local scripts now

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 06:53:49PM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0007061232490.87628-100000@botbay.net>,
> Walter Campbe
> > >
> > > An hour to boot? Boy... the only time I ever saw a machine take an hour to
> > > boot (which does not include the POST/memory check/BIOS screen) was a
> > > 486SX/33 with 24MB of RAM running Windows NT 3.51 SP3. Of course it was
> > > running off of a 5 1/4" 400MB SCSI hard drive too!
> >
> > Try a Solaris 2.6 machine fsck'ing an array of 14 9.1 giggers
>
> An Alpha my team manages with 1 TB of images on UFS takes 4 hours to
> fsck.

At work I've watched some of our BSD/OS 4.0.1 servers go down hard while
qmail had its queue totaly backed up.  And when the ufs (running
softupdates) 500MB /var got to fsck'ing it could take over 8 hours.
(and yes, we know something was not right there, the problem has since
been solved for the most part)

Not fun.

--
--Travis