Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:06:11 -0500
From:      Simon Morton <simon.morton@verizon.net>
To:        amos <amos@harborside.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free?

amos wrote:

> I would really like to rid myself of Micro$ost, but can't find an
> inexpensive way to do it.  My question is, "How can you say FreeBSD is
> free if you cannot download it?

Well, you can ... but that's not really the point.  The "free" in free
software usually refers to your freedom to use it, not to your ability
to obtain it or use it at no cost.

If this is not the definition of "free" that you were looking for, you
are certainly "free" to go write your own operating system which meets
any definition of "free" that you like.

Simon

--
http://www.SimonMorton.com