Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:36:20 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Juan Fernandez" <s997022@admiral.umsl.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Driver for video chip Intel 810

>Hi there!
>I'm new to this wonderful operating system. Where can I get a driver for
the Intel 810 video chip card? I >have a Hewlet-Packard celeron based
computer that runs windows ME (ugh!) and I am trying to get >serious.
>If this has been answered before, I apologize.

You are excellently polite for a new user.  Believe it or not, many new
users send such email to the list as a demand for service (and many new
users get ignored)  :)

Since you put it so nicely, I couldn't help but respond with what help I
could give you.

For the console (text mode), you don't need any special drivers (of course).
Therefore, I assume you're talking about X-Windows.  I personally hate
X-Windows with a passion, but since there is not much in the way of a GUI
alternative and I'm not supposed to corrupt newbies, I won't slam it any
further.

(Note: I will not get into a massive thread about why I hate X, so take your
fingers away from the reply key)

From www.xfree86.org

17. Intel

  3.3.6:
  Support (accelerated) for the Intel i740 is provided by the XF86_SVGA
server with the i740 driver, and for the Intel i810 with the i810 driver.
The i810 is currently only supported on Linux, and requires the agpgart.o
kernel module in order to use modes that require more than 1MB of video
memory.

  4.0.2:
  Support (accelerated) for the Intel i740 is provided by the "i740" driver,
and support for the Intel i810 is provided by the "i810" driver. The "i810"
driver is currently Linux-only, and requires the agpgart.o kernel module.

supported on Linux/x86 platforms at present.

So there is no FreeBSD/XFree86 Intel i810 support at this time.  It appears
that this has something to do with the agpgart kernel module for the kernel.
As far as I know, there is no such thing for FreeBSD.

Good luck.