Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 22:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kaffe release coming soon

Nate Williams writes:
> > TONS of stuff has been fixed since 1.0b3. It's much closer to
> > reasonable usable at this point.. though still not perfect,
> > especially with complex AWT apps.
>
> How does the JIT do with AWT stuff?

I don't know much at all about AWT stuff, but I think pretty good,
as the way AWT is implemented in kaffe is "lightweight" (whatever
that means in the context of AWT).

The JIT engine for kaffe is pretty naive. It could definitely
benefit from a more intelligent algorithm, eg, that did some
simple peephole optimizations. In any case it's still a heck
of a lot faster than interpreting.

-Archie