Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:50:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freeway.dcfinc.com>
To:        derek@hcl.com (Dj Browne)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link DE620

As I recall, Dj Browne wrote:
> Hi,

Hi.

>   I am hoping that some one can help me here.... I just installed FreeBSD
> 2.2.7-RELEASE on a Compaq Contura laptop (about 6 years old) and I have a
> D-Link DE620 Parallel port ethernet adaptor.
>
>  The adaptor works great on 95 and dos and on other machines but I cannot
> find any support for it in FreeBSD.

I don't think there is any support for parallel port Ethernet adapters.  At
least I couldn't find any.  They do support PCMCIA Ethernets.  If you have a slot
that would be one way to go.

>   How can I get this up and running?
>
>   I have the OS working great and on boot I see that the probes see the lp0
> device and recognize that there is a IP enabled device there but I cannot
> see where to load (or compile into the kernel) the drivers for this
> specific adaptor.

The IP enabled message refers to the fact that FreeBSD supports IP directly on
the parallel port, not that it saw your adapter.

>   Has any one done this?

I put up FreeBSD on a Compaq LTE 386/20.  Run a laplink cable between
your laptop and another machine running FreeBSD that =is= on the net,
and then configure the parallel interfaces as network adapters (ifconfig
lp0...) Turn on packet forwarding on the second machine, and you should be in
business.

Do you need help in configuring the routing in this kind of setup?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net