Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 20:16:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        fadorn19@idt.liberty.com (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a Kernel

Fred Adorno stands accused of saying:

> Why can anyone talk simple when explaining something instead of referring me
> to documentation that is so vague?

I think that you're having problems because you don't understand what
you're really asking about.  This is a fundamental problem with many
aspects of technology.  (Not being sexist, but ask a mechanic about
women and cars to see what I mean...)

The answer to this problem is either documentation that addresses every
problem from the point of view of a total novice (which is demeaning to
people who already understand, not to mention extremely time-consuming
and difficult), or to suggest that people go and perform their own
research and education process.

> I am trying to install a pseudo device.  I do not see it listed in
> my present kernel.  The installation was for user implementation not
> developer.  The Handbook ch. 12.1.2 "Building a ppp ready kernel"
> says to check my compile directory (probably /sys/i386/conf) and
> examine the kernel.  The problem is that the cd-rom did not install
> a directory like that.  I have sys file in root and the two files
> called "kernel" and "kernel.GENERIC".

In other words, you didn't install the source code to the kernel during
the installation process.  There should be instructions on this in
the handbook, otherwise, perform the following steps while logged
in as 'root', with the cdrom in the drive and mounted as /cdrom :

# cd /usr/src
# cat /cdrom/dists/src/ssys.* | tar xvzf -

This should present a long list of filenames.  When it is finished, you
will have the kernel source installed as required for the Handbook section
on reconfiguring your kernel.

> Why can't I do this using the User Config Utility?

Userconfig can only modify the configuration of the kernel that you
are running, it can't add new functionality to it.

> If someone is going to explain it please keep it simple, I am only
> a novice. I appreciate the efforts from those that have tried to help!

Hopefully I've given you enough here to work with.  If you want to
experiment with some alternatives before embarking on building a new
kernel, the user-mode PPP implementation may be helpful.  The handbook
should talk about this seperately.