Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:15:28 -0500
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        John Baxter <jlb@xsequor.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSDi and FreeBSD sold?!?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 11:15:01AM -0500, John Baxter wrote:
> I am sure this is an old topic for most, but I am new to FreeBSD and I am
> wondering.
> I thought FreeBSD was free, how can a company buy it?  What is the future of
> FreeBSD?
> It seems to me someone who 'buys' something has their own purpose for it.

FreeBSD was not sold. BSDi sold its software division to Wind River. In
other words, they sold their proprietary BSD/OS. The only obvious change
will be when you order a box set of FreeBSD, and it has Wind River's
logo instead of BSDi's.

- v
--
Victor R. Cardona
vcardona@home.com

                "Behold the keyboard of Kahless, the greatest Klingon
                  code warrior that ever lived!"