Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:31:20 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Avoiding unnecessary breakage (was Re: Removing wait union)

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> One of the things which makes FreeBSD competitive, is our ability
> to adapt to changing circumstances.

I'd like to ask "competitive with what?".  This is not intended
as sarcasm, it's an honest question.

To my mind, FreeBSD is losing ground to Linux in a number of
areas.  One of these areas is in published technical references.
Linux has published technical references, and FreeBSD does not.

While nearly anyone can write a book that purports to be a
technical reference work, actually building a useful one is very
difficult.  It takes on the order of one man year.

As skeptical as people might be about this, Linux has in fact
had a number of *good* technical references written for it, and
these books are not easily dismissed as "shallow fluff": they
are *real* works, with *real* depth.

I would go so far as to say that the Rubini/Corbet book "Linux
Devices Drivers" is *excellent*.

I'm going to argue that the reason these works have been able
to be written is stabilization of interfaces over time.

What are the *primary* arguments people have historically used
when evangelizing BSD?

o	"BSD is more stable"
o	"BSD is more mature"
o	"BSD has a long history"
o	"BSD was developed by experts with lots of experience,
	 who learned from the past"
o	"BSD doesn't suffer gratuitous changes gladly"

None of these look like the moral equivalent of "turn on a dime".

Yet here we are, arguing that it is flexibility that makes FreeBSD
competitive... and it's *not* winning the competitions that matter.

-- Terry