Date:      Sat, 3 May 1997 01:09:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   GUS Max problems...

... I tried sending to questions, but didn't get an answer, so I figured
I'd try here... :-)

I've got a FreeBSD 2.2.1 system that I just built out.  I pulled my GUS
Max (512K) card out of my 2.1 system where it was working fine and stuffed
it in the 2.2.1 system.  The 2.1 system is an ASUS P166 [Intel chip], and
the 2.2.1 is a generic P133 [AMD chip].

I built the kernel on the new system with the same parameters as the old
system;

  controller      snd0
  device          gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 1 flags 0x3 vector gusintr

(I also tried without the "flags 0x3" argument).  The kernel builds OK,
but during the probe I get

  gus0 at 0x220 irq 12 drq 1 flags 0x3 on isa
  gus0: <Gravis UltraSound MAX (512k)>[Where's the CS4231?]
--------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is coming from some GUS code that hasn't changed since 2.1; it's
calling the ab1848 code which HAS changed.  I even tried the old 2.1
ab1848 code; no luck.

I searched the archives (both mine and off the Web page) and couldn't
find anything similar.  Any clues?  It's a cold world with no audio... :-(

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |