Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:40:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Zoom vs Sportster

I just had a Zoom 56K internal plugged  into my P200 box.
I'd be happy to have this work only with tip or cu  since
my Sportster 28.8 is doing ppp on my other machine.

Can anybody clue me in on the major differences between
these two modems?  save that the Zoom is supposed to be
more reliable.

Using the zoom and tip on the P200 box I get::

p3 16:30 <sage> [1001] tip tera288                                            ~
can't open log file /var/log/aculog.
Using "/dev/cuaa1"
timeout waiting for reply
tip: can't synchronize with sportster
timeout waiting for reply
call failed
[EOT]

I've copied over all the config files from the P90 to the P200
and expected this to be a plug and play, but no such luck.

Anybody seen this before?

thanks,

gary