Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 00:54:25 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> Because it ain't mounted anyhere.  Think: user says:
>
> # rm /dev/foo0
> <expletive>
> # mknod /dev/foo0 c ???
>
> What are they going to supply for the dev_t?  The numbers are dynamic,
> so there's no possible reference to them.  Even if they weren't,
> there's no guarantee they'd be able to guess them anyway.

1. Of course the numbers aren't dynamic - for backwards-compatibility
   to even begin to work at the mknod-level, you'd have to preserve
   the old assignments.

2. The mknod operation may be done by something like sysinstall
   or even the old MAKEDEV script - the user doesn't necessarily
   have to know, it just needs to work even if the script
   is creating some custom set of aliases, like "/dev/floppy"
   or "/dev/cdrom", etc.  That's why I'm sticking so stubbornly
   to the idea of preserving any residual meaning for major/minors
   at all. :)

- Jordan