Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:27:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Matthew Joseff <mjoseff@hellenco.com>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CNAME vs A records (clarification)

Doug Barton wrote to Matthew Joseff:

> Matthew Joseff wrote:
> >
> > Can someone correct and/or confirm my understanding of CNAME vs A records:
> >
> > CNAME should be used for a host that exists on (potentially) another
> > server but uses that domain.
> >
> > A records should be used as an alias for a host but co-exists with other
> > hosts.
>
> 	There is no such concept as "alias" in DNS. Erase it from your
> mind.

Sorry, Doug, but I'm afraid you are wrong.  CNAME records are just
that--aliases that point to a host's canonical name.

Rather than restate much of the same information that I put in a previous
post, please read my last post in this thread for a bit more
clarification, including an impromptu definition of CNAMEs according to
O'Reilly's DNS and BIND, 3rd ed.

> A records point hostnames to IP addresses. CNAME records point
> hostnames to other hostnames. Except for very rare and temporary cases
> you shouldn't use CNAME's at all, especially if you don't really
> understand all of the implications.

To understand all of the implications, I suggest EVERYONE who uses BIND
should pick up O'Reilly's DNS and BIND, 3rd edition.

Consider this, Doug (snippets from a zone transfer for freebsd.org):

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @ns1.root.com freebsd.org axfr
; (1 server found)
$ORIGIN freebsd.org.
@			30M IN SOA	implode.root.com. hostmaster (
					100030701	; serial
					30M		; refresh
					15M		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					30M )		; minimum

			30M IN NS	ns1.root.com.
			30M IN NS	who.cdrom.com.
			30M IN NS	ns1.crl.com.
			30M IN NS	ns2.crl.com.
			30M IN NS	ns1.iafrica.com.
			30M IN NS	ns2.iafrica.com.
			30M IN NS	ns.gnome.co.uk.
			30M IN A	204.216.27.18
			30M IN MX	10 hub
docs			30M IN CNAME	freefall
www2			30M IN CNAME	www.ie
www5			30M IN CNAME	freebsd.ghis.net.
www6			30M IN CNAME	freebsd.ghis.net.
ezine			30M IN CNAME	peloton.physics.montana.edu.
anoncvs			30M IN CNAME	cvsup7
mail			30M IN CNAME	hub
current			30M IN CNAME	usw2
ctm			30M IN CNAME	ftp.uni-trier.de.
beast			30M IN CNAME	beast.cdrom.com.
sup			30M IN CNAME	burka.rdy.com.
daemon-news		30M IN CNAME	peloton.physics.montana.edu.
irc			30M IN CNAME	irc.nocturnal.net.
22beta			30M IN CNAME	admin1.calweb.com.
www			30M IN CNAME	freefall
people			30M IN CNAME	freefall

(MANY hosts snipped, including several more CNAMEs)

;; Received 213 answers (213 records).
;; FROM: ren.sasknow.com to SERVER: 209.102.106.178
;; WHEN: Sun Mar 12 16:16:41 2000

There are examples like this all over the Internet.  I would hesistate to
call them either ``rare'' or ``temporary''.

> 	I don't really understand your example, or what you're trying to get
> at. But there is no reason at all you can't have multiple A records in
> multiple zones pointing at the same IP address. If I've missed the
> essence of your question, feel free to try and restate it...

What about reverse lookups?  Sooner or later, you're going to have to map
the IP address in question back to a canonical name (mailers, for example,
do this regularly).  As DNS lookups on IPs return only a single hostname
(the canonical name), if you want reverse lookups to work properly, you
should normally use a CNAME.  To illustrate:

# nslookup ftp.freebsd.org

Server:  localhost
Address:  0.0.0.0

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    wizard.freesoftware.com
Address:  209.155.82.20
Aliases:  ftp.freebsd.org, ftp.freesoftware.com

# nslookup 209.155.82.80

Server:  localhost
Address:  0.0.0.0

Name:    wizard.freesoftware.com
Address:  209.155.82.20

Is this clear?

Hope this helps clarify things.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2