Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 17:08:17 -0400
From:      dean@av8.com (Dean Anderson)
To:        Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
Cc:        pantzer@ludd.luth.se, dean@oec.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP site

At 6:02 PM 2/7/97, Alec Kloss wrote:
>Dean Anderson is responsible for:
>> >
>> >Normal?? It is a very normal file tree. (You ar refering to that, not the
>> >site)
>> >
>        Snip
>> >
>> >What format? What FTP sites? I think that it is a very good file tree.
>>
>> Log on to an HPUX system, or any non freebsd system. Use ftp.  Use the web
>> site as a guide to find the "locations" of packages.  Compare with
>> ftp.uu.net, or any of dozens of other large ftp sites.
>>
>> Imagine that one has a VMS machine without make, but can create a tape or
>> uucp a file that is readable on his machine at home.  So ftpping a makefile
>> and running "make get-dist" is completely unacceptable.
>>
>> The problem is that your site is for use only by the freebsd ports program,
>> and then very badly at that. And nowhere does it say that.
>>
>> When you say you have msql.tar.gz, it appears that you actually have msql,
>> which you don't have anywhere on your ftp site.  So web searches looking
>> for msql list your site as having msql.tar.gz.  They are led thinking that
>> your site is much closer than the australia site, and spend half hour
>> trying to figure out where you might have squirreled away the msql
>> distribution, only to discover to there great frustration that you were
>> lying about having it in the first place.
>>
>> You don't have an ftp site. Its a ports site that uses ftp as a data
>>transport.
>>
>>                 --Dean
>        Snip
>
>Well, what bit you this morning?  I agree that the FreeBSD
>ftp site departs from traditional ftp sites in a few ways.
>However, this does not make it "broken", just different.
>Last time I checked, there were no laws or even rules for
>websites, just tradition.  Just because I file looks like it
>contains something that you want, does not mean that it IS
>something you want.  If msql.tar.gz is a port, not a
>package, didn't the fact that it was about 50K tip you off
>that it probably wasn't the source for a whole RDBMS?  I
>guess they should have named msql.tar.gz something like
>
>msql.tar.gz-port-only-not-complete-dont-use-unless-you-have-freebsd-installed
>
>Excellent!
>
>I would say that anything from /pub/FreeBSD down is most
>likely for FreeBSD users, don't you.  I'm surprised you
>haven't downloaded a file like:
>  ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/os2/unix/elm23-2.zip
>for a HPUX machine trying to get at elm.

No. You don't read. Its for a bsd machine. But it has to move through another
machine to get there.  Duh.

I'm surprised you don't have all os2 software available only to SMB users,
and all apple software available only to appletalk users.

                --Dean

Dean Anderson            dean@aV8.com |                       dean@lpf.org
We make technology fly! See us for    | Stop Software Patents before they
Networking, Firewalls, WWW and more.  | stop you! Contact me for more info
Check out http://www.av8.com for info | or send mail to lpf@lpf.org
President                             | President
Plain Aviation,Inc                    | League for Programming Freedom