Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 02:27:34 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman (was: So what happens to FreeBSD now?)

At 4:45 PM -0400 7/3/01, James Howard wrote:

>  As boringly anti-GPL Mr. Glass is, this is not a "random" ideological
>  test.  It is very important to the future of FreeBSD that its most visible
>  participants be someone "opposed" to the "competition".

	I couldn't disagree more.  To make ourselves public enemies of
Linux, is to throw our own lot in with Microsoft.  Even if the enemy
of my enemy is not my friend, that's how people will see us.

	IMO, if anything, we should take a "may the best OS win" attitude
towards Linux, and throw in with them against Microsoft.

	However, for the spokesperson role, I think we probably want
someone who can rise above the religious license issues altogether,
and take a more pragmatic attitude, perhaps something along the lines
of "Hey, we just want stuff that works".

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */