Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:09:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Dev Zero G Ltd <mailing_lists@devzerog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JniHandler and ChannelUn Errors

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:00:02AM +0100, Dev Zero G Ltd wrote:
> Hello, thanks for reading and PLEASE HELP!
>
> Building and then launching the Tomcat 4.0.4 connector for Apache 2 on
> FreeBSD 4.4, linux-jdk 1.4 , we get:
>
>     org.apache.jk.server.JkMain init
>    INFO: Starting Jk2, base dir= /usr/local/tomcat4.0.4_1.4.0
>    conf=/usr/local/tomcat4.0.4_1.4.0/conf/jk2.properties
>     org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
>    INFO: APR not loaded, disabling jni components: java.io.IOException:
>    /usr/local/
>    tomcat4.0.4_1.4.0/lib/jk_jnicb.so:
>    /usr/local/tomcat4.0.4_1.4.0/lib/jk_jni.so:
>    ELF file OS ABI invalid.
>
> Then, we were answered:
>
>   > I'm assuming you're running 1.4 under Linux emulation, since the
>   > native 1.4 isn't near finished yet :).  The obvious guess would
>   > then be that the shared library jk_jni.so is in fact a native
>   > FreeBSD shared library when it needs to be a Linux shared
>   > library.  Any shared library loaded by a Linux JDK running under
>   > emulation must be a Linux shared library."
>
> After that we have tried to build jkjni.so with native freeBSD jdk1.3,
>    so this shared library can use native FreeBSD methods.
> But, after starting Tomcat 4.0.4 (jdk 1.3) we get:
>
> Error JniHandler - -nativeDispatch: error 21000
> Error ChannelUn - -receive error: 21000
> (info) [jk_jni_aprImpl.c (470)] jkInvoke() invoke 2db8bd2c
> (info) [jk_channel_un.c (292)] channelUn.close(): close unix socket -1
> (error) [jk_channel_un.c (416)] channelUn.receive():error receiving -3 9
> Bad file descriptor 0x15abd0f0 -1
>
> ANY ideas, suggestions, guesses - would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Try these:

1. Compile the shared library under Linux and try your application under
   emulation again.  As long as the JNI object format matches the JDK
   you're ok, it doesn't matter in which direction you go.  I'd try
   the 1.3 Linux JDK though, 1.4 has some problems due to HotSpot.

2. Produce a small test case that demonstrates your problems and submit
   it as a bug.  Its almost impossible to do any sort of debugging when
   there is almost no information about the code or what its doing.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org