Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:53:37 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Antti Kaipila <anttik@iki.fi>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X keyboard mapping

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 09:21:08AM +0200, Antti Kaipila <anttik@iki.fi> wrote:

> I'd like to switch my keyboard layout between Finnish and US
> keyboard. I'd like to do this without killing and restarting the X
> server. Is there any way to do this easily. Like some nice little
> software that let's me choose my layout "on the fly".

Search over the ports collection, if I remember correctly such a
software exist under some x11-* collections. It was meant to switch
between Russian and US layout. I think you can reach same behavior by
creating two different keymaps and using xmodmap(1) to load necessary
keymap on the fly. It seems very simple but creating correct keymap
is black art for me. Better use ready to use keymaps and modify them
as needed.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee