Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 11:41:47 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Kenn D Crossley <kenndc@cyberdude.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free BSD CD-sets

Kenn D Crossley wrote:

> as a very newbie with little, if any, confidence in what i download from
> the internet being virus free, would certainly feel MUCH happier installing
> from a known good set of slightly out-of-date of disks than a set of files
> which i had downloaded from the net which may or may not be complete.

	While on the one hand I can definitely understand your apprehension,
you should really spend some time reading the information available on
the web site. It should inspire confidence that some of us know a little
bit about what we are doing. If that doesn't help, think of the hundreds
of thousands of people who've installed from the net already. Why would
we want to advertise an installation system that doesn't work?

> at least i would then know that the chance of an abortive install
> messing-up my real and needed continuously system would be kept to an
> absolute minimum.

	Actually, it's just as easy to fubar a system with a CD install as it
is with a net install, since the media you install from is the _least_
significant potential fubar'ing factor. But for total security your very
best bet would be to buy a copy of "The Complete FreeBSD" that includes
the latest 3.3 CD's. That small investment will provide you a tremendous
amount of knowledge and experience about the installation process at a
small price to pay for your peace of mind.

> please reply direct as i no longer subscribe due to volume.

	Hmm... if the volume on the -newbies list is too much for you to
handle, I'm not sure that using FreeBSD is going to be successful for
you. This isn't just something you can slap into place and watch it
work. There is a lot to know, a lot to do, and a lot to educate yourself
about. What purpose are you trying to achieve here? Is this something
that will justify the investment in time that you will have to put in to
be successful at it?

	I don't want to discourage you here, but if your time is as valuable to
you as mine is to me, I'd rather have someone pose some hard questions
so that I can know what I'm getting myself into. In any case, good luck.

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."

    - Mel Gibson as Porter, "Payback"