Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:10:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Hector Gonzalez Jaime <cacho@iteso.mx>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need a user without a password!

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Steve Howe wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Hector Gonzalez Jaime wrote:
>
> > Hi, I just installed 2.2.1 for my BBS system, and created an user without
> > a password, but is still asking for one, what shoud I do to convince login
> > to accept this kind of user?
> >
> > TIA
> > Hector Gonzalez
> > ITESO, Guadalajara, Mexico.
>
> i believe "adduser" asks if you want to use passwords or not ...
>  Sleep: a sign a caffeine deprivation ...      http://www.anchorage.net/~un_x

I have used users without passwords with every FreeBSD version my bbs has
run on, since FreeBSD-1.0.2, and it has never asked for a password when
the account is setup like this:
--from master.passwd--
bbs::1001:1001::0:0:BBS usuarios:/club:/club/bin/club
--

But 2.2.1 does.  I don't know why, or what should I do to disable password
asking.   Pressing enter at the password prompt is useless, it keeps

My ideal setup for this stuff is to edit login to keep it from asking the
username, but the password stuff is still needed, so I can rlogin to the
system to manage it from a protected account.

BTW, a -current setup of two months ago does not ask for a password with
this passwd files.

Hector Gonzalez
ITESO, Guadalajara, Mexico.