Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:27:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        bliss-s@excite.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advanced OS Questions only you can answer...

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 bliss-s@excite.com wrote:

*snip*

> I am researching OS's and chose FreeBSD because it was open source.  I know
> nothing about OS's.  I thought open source would mean that I could review
> the documentation and find all my answers.  However, open source means
> nothing to me because I reviewed the documentation, and it doesn't help me
> out because I know no terms good enough to understand the documentation.
> I've been doing this now for 4 weeks...what is sad is that I need answers to
> these questions in 2 weeks.  I have a highschool paper that is due in 3
> weeks, and the teacher is unable to help me out...my Dad doesn't have the
> knowledge...so, as you can tell by now, I suck at getting this paper
> completed in time.

If you know nothing about OS's, perhaps you should start with an easier
topic than BSD internals.

Also, Open Source means that the source is available, not that everything
you have questions on is documented.  And since FreeBSD is done almost
completely by volunteers, what information you do find has been
contributed by those with the time and interest, not because they get
paid for it.  However, you are welcome to contribute your answers back to
the project for future reference.

Many of your questions can be answered by reading a copy of Design and
Implementation of 4.4BSD, available at most fine bookstores.  In addition,
you are welcome to UTSL (Use The Source, Luke).

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org